Read-a-thon: Final Preparations

The Roomie and I raided the grocery store. We're returned with two bags of loot. Behold!




Yes, it all looks yummy as is... but we are have prepped everything we can prep - slicing, dicing, and all that jazz - so that we can have ready-to-eat noms tomorrow.

Once of the dishes I prepped was my mom's baked french toast. She runs a bed and breakfast and this dish is always a big hit with the guests.

Here's a photo of the dish (with crumble topping) prepped and ready for the freezer. I'll post a baked after photo tomorrow morning.


In case you want it, here's the recipe. I promise this is incredibly delicious.

Baked French Toast

Ingredients:
Base:
1 loaf of French bread
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp vanilla extract
½ cup sugar
3 tbsp butter or margarine, divided into 8 slices

Crumb Topping:
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
¼ cup oatmeal
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Directions:
Prepare large baking dish (13x9) by lightly spraying with cooking spray.  Cut bread into 8 slices, each 1 ½ inch thick.  You will have leftover bread for other uses.  Place slices in pan.  Combine eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar.  Pour egg mixture over bread slices.  Flip over each slice after eggs are partially absorbed.  When all mixture is absorbed, top each slice with thin slice of butter.  Wrap pan tightly with plastic wrap and freeze 8-10 hours.

For crumb topping, combine all ingredients.  To bake, preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Bake 15 minutes.  Remove pan from oven and flip pieces over.  Add crumb topping and return to oven to bake an additional 10 minutes.

* * *

Hungry yet?

Also, I should mention that The Roomie has decided on a dessert to make. Normally I would tell you all the details, but I've decided to be mean and only tell you that it's delicious. I had a "sneak peek" nibble tonight.

More noms please!



Comments

Your mom has a bed and breakfast? That is so cool! And the french toast sounds yummie, definitely looking forward to the finished product pictures!
Meghan said…
Yeah. When I was in college, I went "home" to a house I'd never seen before. It's pretty cool. I have my pick of rooms during the off season. Clearly, I choose the room with the best water pressure in the shower.

The best thing, however, is that I get to take home/sent all the extra baked goods at the end of the season. Best. Gifts. Ever.