Book 58: Guests of the Ayatollah

TITLE: Guests of the Ayatollah: The First Battle in America's War with Militant Islam
AUTHOR: Mark Bowden
STARTED: October 28, 2011
FINISHED: December 28, 2011
PAGES: 680
GENRE: Non-Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: Before dawn Mohammad Hashemi prepared himself to die,

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] The Iran hostage crisis was a watershed moment in American history. It was America's first showdown with Islamist fundamentalism, a confrontation that has remained at the forefront of American policy to this day: In Iran, following the ouster of the shah, a provisional government was established, and for a critical moment in the modern age's first Islamist revolution, a more open and democratic society seemed possible. But the religious hardliners on the Revolutionary Council used the hostage crisis as an opportunity to purge moderates from the leadership ranks. They altered the course of the revolution and set Iran on the extreme path it follows to this day.

The Iran hostage crisis was also a dramatic story that captivated the American people. Communities across the country launched yellow-ribbon campaigns. ABC began a new late-night television program - which became Nightline - recapping the latest events in the crisis and counting up the days of captivity. The hostages' families became celebrities, and the never-ending criticism of the government's response crippled Jimmy Carter's reelection campaign.

Guests of the Ayatollah tells this story through the eyes of the people who lived it, on both sides of the crisis.
Mark Bowden takes us inside the hostages' cells, detailing the Americans' terror, confusion, boredom, and ingenuity in the face of absurd interrogations, mock executions, and a seemingly endless imprisonment. He recreates the exuberance and naivete of the Iranian hostage takers. He chronicles the diplomatic efforts to secure the hostages' release and offers a remarkable view of President Jimmy Carter's Oval Office, where the most powerful man in the world was handcuffed by irrational fanatics halfway around the world. Throughout this all, Bowden weaves the dramatic story of Delta Force, a new Special Forces unit poised for their first mission, Operation Eagle Claw.

THOUGHTS: I love everything that Mark Bowden has written (that I've had the chance to read). That said, this is (so far) my least favorite of his books. While the writing quality and style are the same, I was a bit disappointed in the content. I was expecting a bit more analysis of the ramification of the Iran Hostage Crisis, but the book is almost entirely narrative. Had I been expecting that, my guess is that I would have enjoyed the text more.

Bowden continues to be one of the best non-fiction authors writing today. He has the ability to craft story out of history - which makes his books highly enjoyable reads. Guests of the Ayatollah is no different. He places the reader in captivity with the hostages as their story unfolds. Bowden does a stunning job of recreating the emotions, physically conditions, and attitudes of the hostages. Their stories of survival, boredom, and defiance were fascinating to read.

While reading, I felt the book was a bit long, but I would be hard-pressed to say what Bowden should have left out. The crisis was long and had great impact in the U.S. I think Bowden's in-depth coverage does a marvelous job of capturing how the events of the hostage situation played out in Iran and the U.S.

Bowden is one of my favorite authors because he uses words so wonderfully. There is an addictive quality to his writing that other non-fiction writers lack. I keep wanting to read more, even if the contents of the story make me uncomfortable. Seriously, this man could writing a book about ants and I would read it. His style is just that enjoyable.


What I liked least about this book was the failure to analyze the greater impact of hostage situation. By subtitling the book The First Battle in America's War with Militant Islam I expected there to be analysis on the impact then and up through today. So, I blame the subtitle for my disappointment. I loves me some thoughtful insight and this book, while otherwise great, lacked that chunk of meat I desired.

All in all, Guests of the Ayatollah was a long but good read. Also, as a bonus, I can finally let myself purchase Worm: The First Digital World War. I refused to buy Bowden's newest book until I read this one.

RATING: 7/10 [Very Good]

Comments