2012 Reading / Bookish Resolutions

1. Read books I own (on my endless quest to reduce Mt. TBR).
-- I've weeded and weeded, I've stopped buying books (for the most part), and, yet, I still have dozens of books in my collection that have gone unread for years. I always seem to give into the "ooh, new shiny" titles I see at the library. This year, I want to read more from my personal collection.

2. Read from the Titanic collection.
-- This is an addendum to my first resolution. April 15, 2012 marks the 100 year anniversary of the Titanic tragedy. Since I was kid (long before the movie came out... which - confession time - I did see in theaters 4 time), I've been fascinated by this event and the culture surrounding it. My intellectual curiosity has led me to create a rather large collection of Titanic related books. My dad also indulges me by sending every Titanic book he finds my way. I currently have 54 titles (both fiction and non-fiction). In 2012, I want to read at least 6 books from that collection. It will barely dent what I have, but it's a start. (I'll post a snapshot on this collection later.)

3. Stop focusing on the numbers.
-- When I write up these end of year reviews, I find myself too focused on the numbers and not on the content or quality. This year, I will try really hard to not care about how many books I complete. While I love the numbers and will still track completions and page counts, I will attempt to not be disappointed (or elated) by what I see.

4. Be a more conscious consumer of media. 
-- When I find a topic/subject/thing/etc. that I like, I tend to go nuts. I fill up my RSS feeder with new blogs, I add lots of titles to my TBR list, and I run rampant getting my hands on anything related to the topic. Essentially, I gorge myself on the issue until I am sated or lose interest. There's nothing wrong with that, per se... but I'm the type to stress over it. So, I reverse my love and weed the topic from my life (or at least down to a manageable level). This year, I want to be more conscious when I indulge my interests - even out the overindulge/completely weed pendulum so to speak.

5. Be a better blogger.
-- I can't promise that I will blog more (I know my own weaknesses), but I want to find a better balance. This blog veers between "professional" and "personal" in a rather haphazard way. I still want to blog about these areas, but I want to try to do it in a more cohesive way. I don't know what that will entail, but I hope it leads to a better reading experience for everyone.

Comments