Book 45: The Alchemist

TITLE: The Alchemist: A Graphic Novel
AUTHOR: Paulo Coelho
STARTED: October 22, 2011
FINISHED: October 22, 2011
PAGES: 208
GENRE: Graphic Novel

FIRST SENTENCE: "What is it you have brought, boy?"

SUMMARY: [From Amazon] Andalusian shepherd boy Santiago travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids. Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles along the way. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasure found within.

THOUGHTS: I'm intrigued enough by the graphic novel to consider picking up the original book... but I wasn't wowed enough to actually remember to do so. The story is very interesting, but kept being confused as to whether this was a modern day story or something set in the past. I don't like being confused when I read, and this was just enough to bug me. The bulk of the plot was intriguing, and I did enjoy the whole point of the tale.

The art in this story was very beautiful. I loved the lush colors and blood styling. It was very easy to read the emotions on the characters faces, and the settings helps create the scene. I particularly enjoyed how the artist managed to capture action and movement in a still image. That was a rather impressive feat.

RATING: 5/10 [Meh.]

Comments