Read-a-thon: Book Selection

Whilst I was visiting my folks in Upstate New York, The Boyfriend and I ventured to the book village of Hobart, NY with my dad.

For years, I followed my pledge to not buy any books. I was really, really good about just picking up books by my "they don't count" authors. But then, I went to the Bibliobarn...

Curse you Bibliobarn and are your awesome collection and atmosphere! I caved on my pledge, and I caved hard. I bought three books... which lead to my downfall out the other stores in the book town where I picked up another four items. But they all looked so good.


You see how tall that pile is? I emptied my bookshelves and now I've filled them back up (at least four of those titles were just given to my by my parents).

My new titles (working my way from the bottom up) are:

Guy Fieri - Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!
Julie Powell - Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen
Kathryn Stockett - The Help
Charles Seife - Zero: The Biographer of a Dangerous Idea
Wyn Craid Wade - The Titanic: End of a Dream
Jack Repcheck - The Man Who Found Time: James Hutton and the Discovery of Earth's Antiquity
Harold Bloom - How to Read and Why
Abraham Verghese - Cutting for Stone
M.C. Beaton - Death of a Travelling Man
M.C. Beaton - A Highland Christmas
M.C. Beaton - Death of a Hussy

Alas, I have an addiction, and it's name is reading.

The book on top of the pile is M.C. Beaton's Death of a Hussy. It will be added to my read-a-thon stack. Since my week is already booked, I will not make it to the library until Friday (or Read-a-thon's Eve). I shall be selecting the last of my books then. Once my pile is complete, I will share it.

Comments

Awesome pile! I wish I could break my book buying ways, but I just can't. I am so excited about readathon, and I love looking at everyone's stacks! I haven't read an M.C. Beaton book yet, but this has been the year I discovered cozies, so I'll be getting to Beaton's books. I posted my stack a few days ago, but I've already had a few late additions that I'll have to stack on top!
Kathryn said…
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the books that I've read in your list ("The Help", "Cutting for Stone", and "Julie & Julia") - whenever you get to them.

Also, I saw Brian Selznick at the NBF and he was phenomenal. His book is on a stack for me to read.

And since you're reading a mathematical/science-y book, I've decided to endeavor upon "Knocking on Heaven's Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World".

Why you'd care about these things, I'm not sure, but I felt the need to share. I think that sharing about books might be a compulsion for librarians.
Meghan said…
Kate - I don't normally like mystery. I used to steer clear of them, but my boyfriend and roommate both LOVE Beaton. I gave her a shot, and the Hamish Macbeth series is very enjoyable. I do recommend them, but more for the characters than the actual mystery bits.

Kathryn - I don't think it's a compulsion, I think it's required. I'll let you know my thoughts on those books once I get around to them... someday. Also, I've been in a sciencey mood as of late... I blame Doctor Who.