On the Job: Smile!

It's Monday. Boo.

I greatly disliked this Monday in particular. I had an incredibly busy weekend, so I didn't get a lot of sleep. My commute was three times it's usual length. I also spilled coffee on my pants. All day, I just wanted to go home, heat up some tea, and read my book.

But I didn't. Instead, I got to work, and threw out a smile whenever I had to chat with someone. My day certainly wasn't great, but it was better than if I had pouted and whined to my staff for eight hours.

No one has perfect days, every day. There will always be those horrible days that dot the calendar. The ones where you are just not in the mood to be in the office. Having an "off day," does not mean you get to let your crabby pants attitude pervade the office. The emotional reactions of a boss have a great impact on the office. Cranky boss = worried/unproductive staff.

If you're upset, don't take it out on your staff. Most likely, they are not the cause of your bad mood. Treat your staff with respect, even if you'd rather rant and rave. If you find yourself with a short temper, take a few minutes to decide why you are so cranky. Once you know the source of your negativity, you are better able to handle the problem, or file it away to get through the day. Whining, screaming, or eye rolling may make you feel better for a little while, but they won't solve your bad mood. If anything, those reactions could create unnecessary office drama that only cause the problem to grow bigger.

Additionally, as a boss you have to act professionally. If you whine and carp to your employees, you risk dragging down their mood and productivity. Not to mention, you make it okay to dwell on personal activities while at work. I'm all about being friendly with staff, but you can't let your personal life dominate the office.

You don't have to fake being a happy-go-lucky person, but you do have to make sure that your negative thoughts don't dominate the office. Besides, sometimes just smiling on a bad day can make you feel better. After all, tomorrow is another day.

Comments