BOOLEAN: How to Wear Tights


When it comes to fashion, I've always thought that if you had the confidence to wear it, you can pull it off.

Not everyone agrees with that, but style is a choice - there are no hard and fast rules. I've received awesome comments on my tights.... and not so awesome comments (I believe the word "ugh" was used once). Zany tights are, clearly, not everyone's cup of tea.

I wear tights because I like them. I also have the luxury of working in an environment, an academic library to be specific, that is not too conservative with the dress code. That means I get to play around with my wardrobe a bit more than most people.

When it comes to tights, I tend to follow the following guidelines:
  • Do I like them?
  • Do I feel confident wearing them?
  • Do they "go with" something in my wardrobe?

If I can answer yes to all those questions, than wearing that pair of tights is a go.

Most of the time (but not all the time), I also follow that rule of "Two out of three." Said rule states that the tights should match your shoes or your skirt (as seen here and here). That way you keep your legs looking long and lean. But.... I don't always do that (as seen here and here).


One of my favorite fashion blogs, Capitol Hill Style, just posted her guidelines for how to wear tights in a more conservative office. It's worth the read.

Frankly, if you think you look good, I say you should strut your stuff.



Comments