On the Job: Transition

In two weeks, I will start my new position in the library. In order to ensure a smooth transition, I have started to compile every document, manual, and random scrap of paper I can think of that might be useful. What I am finding is that I have so much in my head, that I will need to find time to get it all down on paper.

When you've done a job for a long period if time, you start to rely on your head and not on your papers. While this is awesome for productivity, it does cause problems when you have to take time off or leave a position. Thankfully, I will still be in the building to answer questions and conduct training. Not everyone is so lucky.

So, my brief advice this week - when in doubt, write it out. You never know when someone is going to have to fill in for you at the last minute. Even a basic list of tasks and procedures can be helpful to the person who fills your role.

Comments