Book 26: Last Day in Vietnam

Last Day In VietnamTITLE: Last Day in Vietnam: A Memory
AUTHOR: Will Eisner
STARTED: April 18, 2011
FINISHED: April 18, 2011
PAGES: 80
GENRE: Graphic Novel

FIRST SENTENCE: [From the Introduction] Each of the stories in this work were culled from an inventory of encounters with unforgettable people I met during the years I was involved with the military.

SUMMARY: [From Amazon.com] Last Day in Vietnam is Will Eisner's memoir of stories about soldiers who are engaged not only in the daily hostilities of war but also in larger, more personal combat. During Eisner's years in the military, and particularly during the many field trips he made for P.S. Magazine, he observed camp life at close range. Some of the stories in this novel are comical, some heart-rending, some frightening, yet all display the incredible insight into humanity characteristic of Eisner's entire oeuvre.

THOUGHTS: Here we have yet another book I picked up for the April Read-a-thon book I am just getting around to reviewing. (Bad, no update blogger, bad!) From what I remember, I found the art of this book a bit cartoony but very expressive. Eisner's vignettes are emotional tales that somehow seem more real because they are told in the style of the graphic novel. Written war is one thing, drawn or pictured war is more powerful because you can see the people. This was a good graphic novel, one I am glad I randomly picked up for the read-a-thon.

RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments