Book 14: Death of a Gossip

Death of a GossipTITLE: Death of a Gossip
AUTHOR: M.C. Beaton
STARTED: March 8, 2011
FINISHED: March 14, 2011
PAGES: 179
GENRE: Mystery

FIRST SENTENCE: "I hate the start of the week," said John Cartwright fretfully.

SUMMARY: [From Amazon.com] When a famous gossip columnist is murdered at the local fishing school, no one is ready to talk. It's up to Hamish Macbeth, with the inspiring assistance of the lovely Priscilla Halburton-Smythe, to sniff out the right rat amid all the cunning anglers with secrets to hide. But someone has baited a hook for him

THOUGHTS: I've decided to read the rest of the Hamish Macbeth series in order (if possible). Death of a Gossip is the first book in the series and, if I hadn't already read another in the series, I don't know if I would have stuck with it. This book was not bad, there was just nothing incredibly special about it.

It amazes me how long Beaton waits to kill off her victim, but the setting and story of the mystery make it okay. I though the resolution was a bit out of nowhere, but it did make sense. I am slightly uncomfortable as a reader when I don't receive all the facts and Hamish is just brilliant at the end, but I find myself trusting Beaton to not lead me astray. Her writing style has a calming, addictive feeling to it. The books just feel right and truthful, and I'm okay with not being a brilliant mystery solver.

I will definitely continue to read this series because I like how they make me feel. I enjoy the small town feeling that permeates these books. They make me feel all warm and cozy. Truthfully, I don't give a fig about the mystery component; I enjoy the character development and personal plots much more. I can't wait to see how the lives of these characters develop.

RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments