On the Job: Ask

Today, I trained a new stacks employee. My training sessions run anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how fast I talk and how many questions the trainee asks. I routinely pause my training to ask "Do you have any questions?" I love longer training sessions because it means the trainee asked a lot of questions.

I like to answer questions, but I love to ask questions. Questions are one of the reasons I became a librarian. My advice this week: Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Most library professionals are awesome at answering questions (see: reference desk). However, I am sometimes surprised how rarely I see librarians asking questions. I ask questions all the time... probably to the point of annoyance. The most active word in my arsenal besides "Cupcake!" is likely "Why?"

It's very easy to follow the same routine day in and day out. While I love myself a good rut, on occasion it is vital to snap out of the routine and start to question your position's methods and duties. New projects and ideas always burst out of days I ask "Why do I do things the way I do them?" The current method is working, but is there a better why? Survey says: Probably. Let's ask some questions, ponder the results, and see what we can do to make things better.


Questions serve first to illicit information but they also cause us to focus on and rethink what we do. When we ask why is a project is being done, we receive a better understanding of how to handle said project. When we ask what our mission is, we can formulate ideas and goals to reach that mission. When we ask why we follow certain procedures, we have the chance to rejigger, redo, or reject outdated methods.

I have often wondered if people don't ask questions because they're afraid of the outcome. That is indeed a legitimate concern but the worst thing I've been told is "No," and the worst reaction I've encountered is bewilderment at my query. These are all survivable outcomes.

Questions are awesome. Questions keep us in business, keep us focused, and open our minds to the bigger picture. What is the best question you've ever asked at work?

Comments