Book 30: Dirty Sexy Politics

Dirty Sexy Politics [Hardcover]TITLE: Dirty Sexy Politics
AUTHOR: Meghan McCain
STARTED: October 4, 2010
FINISHED: October 7, 2010
PAGES: 194
GENRE: Memoir

FIRST SENTENCE: Freedom is addictive.

SUMMARY: [From Amazon.com] Meghan McCain came to prominence as the straight-talking, progressive daughter of the 2008 Republican presidential candidate Senator John McCain. And her profile has only risen since the election ended in favor of the other guy.

What makes Meghan so appealing? As a new role model for young, creative, and vocal members of the GOP, she's unafraid to mix it up and speak her mind. In Dirty Sexy Politics she takes a hard look at the future of her party. She doesn't shy away from serious issues and her raucous humor and down-to-earth style keep her positions accessible.

In this witty, candid, and boisterous book, Meghan takes us deep behind the scenes of the campaign trail. She steals campaign signs in New Hampshire, tastes the nightlife in Nashville, and has a strange encounter with Laura and Jenna Bush at the White House. Along the way, she falls in love with America--while seeing how far the Republican Party has veered from its core values of freedom, honesty, and individuality. In Dirty Sexy Politics, Meghan McCain gives us a true insider's account of life on a campaign trail.

THOUGHTS: I have a girl crush on Meghan McCain. I don't know when it started, but when I saw that she wrote a book, I knew I would read it. (Kind of like how I know I will read Snooki's book when it comes out.) When McCain's book arrived at the library for inclusion in our new popular reading collection, I snatched it up before anyone else had the chance.

Well, I still have a girl crush on Meghan McCain (and no, it's not because she spells her name right), but this book kind of dulled the shine. I most enjoyed the text when she discusses her political opinion. I like how she is a no nonsense, unapologetic, politically outspoken woman. Our personal politics are not the same, but I think McCain speaks more sense than most people give her credit for. Her writing on politics is quite fascinating because she's been surrounded by it for her entire life. Insider stories are always interesting to read, and I like how McCain breaks down her viewpoints and explains why she has them. I also likes how she uses her opinions to criticize the GOP.

What I disliked was how McCain seems to sell herself short all the time. The book is very emotional - make that incredibly emotional. McCain makes no excuses for how she acted during the campaign (which I like) but constantly calls herself a "daughter of" (which I loathe). Throughout the book, McCain paints herself as an accessory or a distraction. Personally, I think she should have owned who she is and been a stronger character. She's constantly making herself out to be a road block in her father's campaign. I was quite frustrated how she let her emotions and position get the best of her.

That said, I think that showing her vulnerabilities and personality makes McCain a more sympathetic figure. Those same factors also lead me to believe that she may have indeed written this book herself. McCain's book reads much like her Twitter. I enjoyed all of her stories and am quite intrigued to see how the rest of her life pans out.

But really, I wish she would stop referring to herself as a "daughter of." Ms. McCain, you are a complete woman - not  political accessory.

RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments