Book 28: Emma (Volume 1)

Emma, Vol. 1TITLE: Emma
AUTHOR: Kaoru Mori
STARTED: September 30, 2010
FINISHED: September 30, 2010
PAGES: 192
GENRE: Graphic Novel

FIRST SENTENCE: England, the end of the 19th Century - Owing to the Industrial Revolution, it is an age of change and innovation.

SUMMARY: [From the back of the book] The saga begins. In Victorian England, a young girl named Emma is rescued from a life of destitution and raised to become a proper British maid. When she meets William, the eldest son of a wealthy family, their love seems destined. But in this world, even matters of the heart are ruled by class distinctions.

THOUGHTS: Normally I hate it when a book is all set up, but this one didn't bug me as much as it should. Nothing really happens in volume 1 - we're introduced to the major characters and plot points are set in motion. That's about it. I'm intrigued enough to want to get my hands on the next book.

The art style in this book is rather simple but incredibly detailed. I enjoyed how the author/artist kept a perfect blend of simple pages and crowded pages. I never felt like I had to wade through the drawings to get to the story. The character's facial expressions are emotional and that helps tell the story. I also liked how it was easy to tell characters apart - not always an easy feat in graphic novels.

The hardest part about this book was reading it backwards. The publisher decided to keep all of the original art and that meant keeping the formatting. It took me a few pages to get into the groove of reading right to left, but once I got that it was a breeze.

Oh, the author epilogue bit was awesome. 

RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments