Book 18: In Praise of Slowness

In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus)TITLE: In Praise of Slowness: How a Worldwide Movement is Challenging the Cult of Speed
AUTHOR: Carl Honore
STARTED: June 29, 2010

FINISHED: July 9, 2010
PAGES:  310
GENRE: Non-Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: On a sun-bleached afternoon in the summer of 1985, my teenage tour of Europe grinds to a halt in a square on the outskirts of Rome.

SUMMARY: [From Amazon.com] A former "speedaholic," an award-winning Canadian journalist advocates living a slower, more measured existence, in virtually every area, a philosophy he defines as "balance." Honoré's personal wake-up call came when he began reading one-minute bedtime stories to his two-year-old son in order to save time. The absurdity of this practice dramatized how he, like most of the world, was caught up in a speed culture that probably began with the Industrial Revolution, was spurred by urbanization and increased dramatically with 20th-century advances in technology. The author explores, in convincing and skillful prose, a quiet revolution known as "the slow movement," which is attempting to integrate the advances of the information age into a lifestyle that is marked by an "inner slowness" that gives more depth to relationships with others and with oneself. Although there is no official movement, Honoré credits Carol Petrini, an Italian culinary writer and founder of the slow food movement in Italy, with spearheading the trend to using fresh local foods, grown with sustainable farming techniques that are consumed in a leisurely manner with good company. The author also explores other slow movements, such as the practice of Tantric sex (mindful sexual union as a road to enlightenment), complementary and alternative medicine, new urbanism and the importance of leisure activities like knitting, painting and music. For the overprogrammed and stressed, slow and steady may win the race.

THOUGHTS: I like a book that tells me I should do everything in a more leisurely manner. I really do. What I don't like is when a book makes me feel guilty for not following its advice. I appreciate the goal of Honore's book, but I wish it didn't feel like an informercial.

The point of In Praise of Slowness is to give the reader an appreciation for conducting their life in a more leisurely manner. Honore breaks down his book into various chapters that divide life into sections such as work, food, sex, etc. In each chapter, Honore shows how life can be conducted more slowly. He backs up his overarching narrative with personal experience, scientific studies, and interviews with other followers of the slow lifestyle.

This set-up is remarkably persuasive. Honore makes his readers want to slow down their lives, even if it is just a little bit. I found that the text had a remarkably calming effect on me. I did not feel the need to rush through the text, even though I had to read it in time for book club. Addtionally, I felt calmer in my everyday life - I did not feel as frustrated as I normally do on my commutes. So, I have to hand it to Honore, he did a fantastic job of making me want to lead the life he is discussing.

On the downside, Honore's text made me feel guiltly. I don't do many of the things he suggests. I can't afford to. As one of my book club members stated, he overlooks the financial and community costs of the slow lifestyle. I don't make enough money to buy organic food from the farmer's market, I can't afford to spend my leisure time in skill development classes, etc. Honore's book is full of awesome ideas, but it comes across more as wishful thinking than reality. Because of that, I feel guilty for not attempting to do things more slowly.

I guess what Honore is advocating for is a better balance in life. We can do things quickly, but we should be aware of our speed and attempt to slow down more often. I think this book is chock full of ideas and I heartily recommend it, but I think it's foolhardy to believe that everyone can follow all of the ideas it contains.

RATING: 8/10

Comments