Book 65: 1602

TITLE: 1602
AUTHOR: Neil Gaiman
STARTED: August 19, 2009
FINISHED: August 19, 2009
PAGES: 248
GENRE: Graphic Novel

FIRST SENTENCE: For a whole week the skies over London had been blood red at noon.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] All's not well in the Marvel Universe in the year 1602 as strange storms are brewing and strange new powers are emerging! Spider-Man, the X-Men, Nick Fury, Dr. Strange, Daredevil, Dr. Doom, Black Widow, Captain America, and more appear in the waning days of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. As the world begins to change and enter into a new age, Gaiman weaves a thrilling mystery. How and why are these Marvel stars appearing nearly 400 years before they're supposed to?

THOUGHTS: I think I need to read more classic comics. Gaiman is awesome... but I think most of the nuances of this graphic novel went over my head because I do not have a compendium of classic comic book knowledge on which to draw. I enjoyed the story, but not much beyond that.

The art, on the other hand, I enjoyed quite a bit. Somehow the artist managed to make his drawings look theatrical. There was a feeling of movement and emotion throughout the whole book.

RATING: 5/10 [Meh.]

Comments