Book 50: Forever...

TITLE: Forever...
AUTHOR: Judy Blume
STARTED: June 7, 2009
FINISHED: June 8, 2009
PAGES: 199
GENRE: Juvenile

FIRST SENTENCE: Sybil Davison has a genius I.Q. and has been laid by at least six different guys.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] There's a first for everything.

When you build up something in your mind — really imagine it, wish for it — sometimes, when it actually happens, it doesn't live up to your expectations.

True love is nothing like that.

Especially not for Katherine and Michael, who can't get enough of each other. Their relationship is unique: sincere, intense, and fun all at the same time. Although they haven't been together all that long, they know it's serious. A whole world opens up as young passion and sexuality bloom.

But it's senior year of high school, and there are big changes ahead. Michael and Katherine are destined for another big "first": a decision. Is this the love of a lifetime, or the very beginning of a lifetime of love?

THOUGHTS: I read this book by accident. We were supposed to read one of Blume's younger reader books and I grabbed this one. I should have known after the first sentence that I was in the wrong age bracket. Oh well - I've never read Blume so this can serve as my first step into catching up to that part of my teen years (which will also include seeing all those classic movies from the 80s).

After reading this book, I can see why people want to ban Blume's work - I don't agree with it, but I can see why. She writes frankly about topics some people would rather remain quiet about. Katherine is upfront and comfortable discussing her sexuality and experience with sex - a position I think more young women should take. She is a strong character who knows what she wants and what she is ready for. I also enjoy how Blume made Katherine human - she's comfortable with herself, but that doesn't mean she's flawless. Katherine second guesses herself and goes through many highly emotional changes in the book.

I say more books and more characters like this please.

I will add this: It was rather hysterical seeing this book's age. It is definitely set in its time. That said, the message still translates.

RATING: 7 /10 [Very Good]

Comments