Book 34: The Giver

TITLE: The Giver
AUTHOR: Lois Lowry
STARTED: May 24, 2009
FINISHED: May 26, 2009
PAGES: 192
GENRE: Juvenile

FIRST SENTENCE: It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Twelve-year-old Jonas lives in a seemingly ideal world. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver does he begin to understand the dark secrets behind this fragile community.

THOUGHTS: The first time I read this book, I was in 6th grade. I liked it then and I still like it now, but for different reason. My 6th grade-self liked the book because it made me wonder about what it was like to live without color, or real family. I also had fun debating the ending.

My current, twenty-something self, enjoyed the book because it made me ask "What if?" I questioned the societal structure present in the story. I also enjoyed the story this time because I picked up on a few things that went over my head when I was younger.

In my class, we had a brief discussion on why this book has been banned in libraries. I get why it is, but those people just need to remember that they lack the mind of a child. If you read this book as a kid, I suggest reading it again now and see how you perceive it today. The change is interesting.

RATING: 8/10 [Terrific]

Comments