Book 3: No True Gentleman

TITLE: No True Gentleman
AUTHOR: Liz Carlyle
STARTED: January 14, 2009
FINISHED: January 23, 2009
PAGES: 449
GENRE: Romance

FIRST SENTENCE: She was an old woman now.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Set in Regency-era London, this book chronicles the adventures of Catherine Wodeway, a vivacious country widow who has recently come to town, and Maximillian de Rohan, an enigmatic Westminster magistrate. Despite their disparate social backgrounds he hails from a family of Italian vintners and she's a lady Max and Catherine share a scandalous kiss in Hyde park. A few days later, the two meet again when a murder among the aristocracy takes Max to the home of a mutual acquaintance. Caught up in her desire for Max and her curiosity about him, Catherine seeks to seduce him, but Max's inability to trust may keep him from giving up his heart. When Max isn't puzzling over his emotions, he's fending off his meddlesome grandmother and working to solve a murder. Although Max is no gentleman according to the standards of the time which were defined by Lord Chesterfield's The Fine Gentleman's Etiquette, a book Max tries and fails to read he is an extraordinarily well-developed and believable romantic hero. Catherine is also a strong heroine, and together, they make this one of the year's best historical romances.

THOUGHTS: Umm, what happened? I think I zoned out for the majority of this book. I felt no connection at all to the characters or the story. Considering that I've loved Liz Carlyle in the past, there's a chance my numbness had more to do with me and not the book.

Eh.

RATING: 3/10 [Poor, Lost Interest]

Comments

Marg said…
Max is one of my favourite Liz Carlyle heroes! I do find I don't really enjoy her newer books as much as I do her older books!