Libraries: They Do Exist

The Boyfriend found this ages ago. I'm reacting with a mix of "Are you kidding me?" and [Drop head on desk].

Comments like this scare me; they have me thinking that there are more people out there who have never been introduced to the library. As an institution with a hallowed and lengthy existence in this country, I do wonder if the library is loosing out Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.

Libraries are slowly incorporating technology into their daily existence (as evidenced by the fact that even the most rural libraries have OPACs and computer terminals with internet access) but is it fast enough? We just cannot compete with Fortune 500 companies with seemingly unlimited marketing budgets.

My University is offering a libraries and marketing course this semester (possibly because I asked for it). Unfortunately, it meets on Saturdays... Saturdays where I already have obligations... so I cannot take it this semester. I hope the course is popular and they offer it either this summer or in the Fall. If not, I may humble myself before the Dean and ask for it again.

So, if you ever find yourself with a friend who spends lots of money on books, please help your local library and spread the word.

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow! That is so scary. I can't imagine not knowing about libraries.
Meghan said…
Me either! I grew up going to libraries - I honestly cannot remember ever NOT having a library card.
Josh Jones said…
I agree, I love libraries! They save me so much money!