Patron of the Moment: Starbucks Fix

I am so far behind in my book review right now... so instead of doing those, I'm going to tell you about my "Patron of the Moment."

Technically, said patron visited the library before Thanksgiving, but things were so busy that I'm just now getting a chance to share.

First, the backstory: Our library used to have policy where all beverages had to be in sealed containers (Screw tops, flip-caps, etc.). This meant that your typical Starbucks or Caribou coffee plastic lid cup was not allowed in the building. Last semester, we learned that we were flighting a losing battle. The University now has a Starbucks so we've basically forgone that rule.

Now for the patron: This lady came back to my office to ask me where she could find Starbucks. I gave her directions to the student union (though it's really a conference center but that's a whole 'nother can a'beans) where the Starbucks is located. She said she didn't want that one. I told her that was the closest Starbucks to the library. We then proceeded to have the following conversation.

Lady: I mean the Starbucks in the library.
Me: There is no Starbucks in the library.
Lady: There are a ton of Starbucks cups in here.
Me: They're from the Starbucks at the student center.
Lady: No, they're not. You don't allow cups like that in the library. They bought their coffee here.
Me: We no longer enforce that policy. Those are from the Starbucks in the student union.
Lady: You're lying. There is a Starbucks in the basement.
Me: I'm sorry ma'am, but the only Starbucks on campus is at the student center.
Lady: *stares me down* Fine. I'll find it myself.

If only all my conversations were so amusing.

Comments