Book 56: Doubt

NUMBER: 56
TITLE: Doubt: A Parable
AUTHOR: John Patrick Shanley
STARTED: October 3, 2007
FINISHED: October 3, 2007
PAGES: 58
GENRE: Drama

FIRST SENTENCE: [From the preface] What's under a play?

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Chosen as the best play of the year by over 10 newspapers and magazines, Doubt is set in a Bronx Catholic school in 1964, where a strong-minded woman wrestles with conscience and uncertainty as she is faced with concerns about one of her male colleagues. This new play by John Patrick Shanley-the Bronx-born-and-bred playwright and Academy Award-winning author of Moonstruck-dramatizes issues straight from today's headlines within a world re-created with knowing detail and a judicious eye. After a stunning, sold-out production at Manhattan Theatre Club, the play has transferred to Broadway.

REASON FOR READING: It came across my desk at work.

THOUGHTS: First things first: I had to look up the definition of "parable" before I started this play just to be sure I actually knew what it meant. From dictionary.com:
1. a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson.
2. a statement or comment that conveys a meaning indirectly by the use of comparison, analogy, or the like.
Now that that's done, it has been over two weeks since I finished this book and I'm still trying to figure where the "parable" comes in. I'm probably over thinking it, but I honestly wonder how much of this play went over my head because I was reading it either too literally or was too busy actively searching for the parable. The entire time I was reading this play, all I could think was, "How would I understand this differently if it were on stage?"

I enjoyed the writing and the characterizations put forth in this script, but I can't help but think that the whole point of this play went completely over my head.

MISCELLANEOUS: I miss the theatre.

RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments

Jennifer said…
I haven't read/seen Doubt, but I think the subtitle may have something to do with the religious themes. There are many parables in the bible, specifically in the gospels... so perhaps that's one of many reasons for the subtitle.

Also, are you seriously this far behind on updating the books you've read... you need to get your act together, missy! [sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm]