The Topical Obsession

NPR has a fascinating interview with Paul Watson, the photographer who took the Pulitzer Prize winning image of a dead American soldier being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu. My friend Kathleen sent me the link to the audio earlier today and I was completely enraptured in what I heard.

Ever since High School, I've had an historical obsession with the Battle of Mogadishu which has led to a need to read everything in print about the incident. This intellectual desire has also led me to read a lot about the media coverage and political atmosphere surrounding genocide, namely Rwanda.

Hearing Paul Watson discuss his personal experience with these incidents (and others) was absolutely fascinating and, in some ways, highly disturbing. Watson is highly articulate and brutally honest about how he was mentally, emotionally, and physically effected by seeing senseless death every day. The interviewer, Terry Gross, covers many of the aspects of Watson's life and work. From the interview, I get the feeling that this man has not only led and unique life but is an extraordinary person.

Watson has authored a book, Where War Lives, that is now at the top of my TBR list.

Comments

John MacDonald said…
Here's the face to match the voice you heard earlier today on the radio. Some photos I took while he told his story last week in Ottawa, Canada.
Paul Watson: Photos by John W. MacDonald
Meghan said…
Witnessing something like that must be purely haunting. I merely wrote papers on the incident(s) and I have eerie moments. I can't imaging what Paul Watson endures.