Got Books?

Riiiiiiiiight. We all know what my library loving heart thinks of this recent survey. Still, I'm a bit aghast at the numbers.

One in four people did not read a book last year. (While that statistic should not shock me it does. I also wonder how it ties in with illiteracy rates and public education.)

What really gets me is the this: The average number of books read in a year is only four. FOUR! I know I'm one of those few voracious readers out there, but come one! Four books in a year. That's it!?!? I would think that you would actually have to try to read that little.

Come on people. Pick up a book. Any book. Stop trying to impress your friends by reading Dostoevsky. (No one buys into that facade anyway.) Just pick up a book and read. It's not hard - in fact, it can be rather enjoyable and entertaining. You just have to find the right genre. If you're having trouble finding something, walk up to your local librarian. It's their job to do reader's advisory.

Trust me, if you ask a librarian "Can you give me a book suggestion?" you've just made their day.

Comments

Meghan said…
Ha! I can see this being a story that sends the reading/book blogosphere into a tizzy.