Book 46: The Sword & The Sheath

NUMBER: 46
TITLE: The Sword & The Sheath
AUTHOR: Bonnie Vanak
STARTED: August 17, 2007
FINISHED: August 19, 2007
PAGES: 342
GENRE: Romance

FIRST SENTENCE: He could not make her cry.

SUMMARY: [From amazon.com] Fatima was one of her tribe's best fighters, but only a man could become a Khamsin Warrior of the Wind. Fatima knew she could be an effective Guardian of the Ages for Tarik, the son of the current sheikh, but tradition also ruled that the job be held by a man. Assuming that she was doomed to live as her tribe demanded, Fatima is, instead, unexpectedly given the chance to prove her worth as a fighter and a guardian for Tarik. But Fatima quickly discovers her biggest challenge will be convincing Tarik, who believes that being his lover is the only role for Fatima, that she can be both a warrior and a woman.

REASON FOR READING: I've the other books in this series.

THOUGHTS: Dear god, woman. If you ram (*snicker) home the meaning of your title one more time I might scream. I get it. Stop. Now. Seriously. I GET WHAT IT MEANS!

This was not Vanak's best. In fact, I think it might be the worst book I have read from her yet. It was just an okay read until I was about 30 pages from the end. Then it took a turn for the loathsome. Vanak just went overboard with the purple prose and meaning of her title. I hate it when author's treat me like I'm stupid. It doesn't take a genius or lover of Catullus to understand what a sheath and a sword can do together.

Sheesh.

Aside from that, the plot was scattered, the writing trite and phoned in, and the characters lacked the all important chemistry.

While I won't rule Vanak out for future reads - this one was definitely more of a trial and than triumph.

MISCELLANEOUS: Who designs these covers?

RATING: 3/10 [Poor, Lost Interest]

Comments

Meghan said…
I think I give her more credit than she generally deserves because I love everything having to do with Egypt and/or bedouin life.