The Year of the Mediocre

I figured that I should probably write up my "Year in Review" post before I post my first read of 2007. You all know what this means... LISTS! LISTS! LISTS!

Random: My dad bought me this book for Christmas. There probably is some sort of scientifically proven connection between bibliophiles and lists.

This year was dominated by mediocre reads. Which, in some ways, made the baddies and the goodies really stand out. Then again, it also means that I should probably change what I've been reading. I really did go for quantity over quality this year. Bad Meghan. Then again, I'm trying to reach 100 books again in 2007, which probably does not help me. What do they say about history being bound to repeat itself?

The Year in Ratings
10 = 1
9 = 1
8 = 19
7 = 24
6 = 23
5 = 24
4 = 3
3 = 5
2 = 0
1 = 3

If I could bell curve that out, it would be skewed slightly toward the good, which is a decent thing. But the fact that I only have one 10 out of the year is kind of disheartening. What makes it worse is that that 10, Samantha Power's "A Problem From Hell," was the first book I finished in 2006.

The Year In Genres
Fiction = 20
Romance = 48
Non-Fiction = 15
Graphic Novels = 20

Out of all my reads, only three could be considered Classics. That is why I endeavor to read more classics in 2007.

Now, following a brief drumroll...

Top 10 of 2006
10. The Lady Spies Series by Samantha Saxon
9. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
8. Maus by Art Spiegelman
7. Night by Elie Wiesel
6. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
5. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
4. Y The Last Man (Series ) by Brian K. Vaughan
3. The Sandman (Series) by Neil Gaiman
2. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
1. "A Problem form Hell" America and the Age of Genocide by Samantha Power

For further details on each book, click the title to reach my original review.

To sum up the year: I read 103 books totaling 32,374 pages.

Happy reading in the new year!

Comments