Unsuggestions

My friend Tony was trying to help me bridge the gap between now and Thursday, when I fly home for Christmas. In doing so, he passed me along to the Unsuggester at LibraryThing. I decided to play around and found some very interesting things.

I put Vince Flynn's Consent to Kill in and the unsuggester returned 75 books. I supposedly neither own nor read the books in the list. I actually

own...
  1. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
  2. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  3. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
  4. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
  5. Vanity Fair : a Novel Without a Hero by William Makepeace Thackeray
  6. The Elements of Style by William Strunk
and have read...
  1. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
  2. Dracula by Bram Stoker
  3. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  4. The Plague by Albert Camus
  5. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
  6. The Elements of Style by William Strunk
  7. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  8. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
In comparison, I put in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander and I have neither read nor owned any of the 74 books it returned. As a final test, I put in Mark Bowden's Black Hawk Down. Again, I neither own nor have read the 74 books listed. I'm trying figure out what this means. I am either an eclectic reader, or the whole Vince Flynn book was a fluke.

Comments