On the Job #3

There is a comedy of errors occurring as we speak. A part-timer in the Stacks office was trying to put a security strip down the spine of a book. She did not follow the maxim of "Don't force it." So the metal stick she used to guide the strip got stuck. Not just stuck, stuck. Jammed in there not moving an inch stuck.

We tried brute force. That failed.

We tried using another metal stick to widen the gap between the spine and the textblock. That failed.

Then my one boss broke out an heater and ironed the spine. That just worked.

Our next option was to stick the book in the freezer to see if that would dry the glue out.