Book 44: Beyond the Pale: The Darkwing Chronicles, Book One

NUMBER: 44
TITLE: Beyond the Pale: The Darkwing Chronicles, Book One
AUTHOR: Savannah Russe
STARTED: May 9, 2006
FINISHED: May 13, 2006
PAGES: 295
GENRE: Romance

FIRST SENTENCE: I never wanted to be a spy.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] The government knows that Daphne Urban is a vampire, and they have an ultimatum: spy for them, or be killed. The choice is easy. She can speak 13 languages, has a genius IQ, and has escaped detection for nearly five hundred years-making her perfect for Team Darkwing. Her first mission is to get close to Bonaventure, a shady arms dealer with an unexpected gift for seduction. But when Darius, a darkly sexy vampire slayer, begins chasing her, Darius is torn between desire and duty. For his lithe, young prey is also his ultimate temptation.

REASON FOR READING: It was senior week and I was so busy that I needed to read a book that did not require much concentration.

THOUGHTS: Honestly, I did not like this book very much. That being said, I was almost overly intrigued by the idea of a vampire spy. Plus, the chemistry between the two main characters was just hot. I will try the second book, just because I'm curious. But, the simplistic writing and cardboard characters really does kill the story.

MISCELLANEOUS: I love the title.

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): Back onto PBS... from whence it came.
RATING: 5/10 [I didn't particularly like it or dislike it; mixed review]

CR: The Sandman: Endless Nights by Neil Gaiman
RN: Even Vampires Get the Blues by Katie MacAlister

Comments