Book 14: Watchmen

NUMBER: 14
TITLE: Watchmen
AUTHOR: Alan Moore
STARTED: February 5, 2006
FINISHED: February 11, 2006
PAGES: 416
GENRE: Graphic Novels

FIRST SENTENCE: Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985.: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] It all begins with the paranoid delusions of a half-insane hero called Rorschach. But is Rorschach really insane or has he in fact uncovered a plot to murder super-heroes and, even worse, millions of innocent civilians? On the run from the law, Rorschach reunites with his former teammates in a desperate attempt to save the world and their lives, but what they uncover will shock them to their very core and change the face of the planet! Following two generations of masked superheroes from the close of World War II to the icy shadow of the Cold War comes this groundbreaking comic story -- the story of The Watchmen.

REASON FOR READING: Pete gave it to me in lieu of the next Sandman book.

THOUGHTS: For being considered the greatest graphic novel, I was left wanting. For me, this was just an okay read. I much prefer The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. I don't why this book failed to move me, it just did. The story was great, I will admit that, but I felt, in comparison to Gaiman, it lacked imagination. That being said, the amount of detail crammed into this book made it worth the read. I loved the "what if" scenarios that ran throughout the book. The only character I truly connected with was Jon. That big blue guy could do no wrong in my mind. I liked how he was written and drawn. There was such life in him even though he had no real eyes.

It's a good read, but I'm not awed.

MISCELLANEOUS: Nice art.

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): Going back to Pete.
RATING: 6/10 [Good]

CR: The Sandman: Fables & Reflections by Neil Gaiman
RN: Probably a romance novel but it might be The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Comments