Book 6: The Sandman: Dream Country

NUMBER: 6
TITLE: The Sandman: Dream Country
AUTHOR: Neil Gaiman
STARTED: January 16, 2006
FINISHED: January 17, 2006
PAGES: 153
GENRE: Graphic Novels

FIRST SENTENCE: My father died last year.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] The third book of the Sandman collection is a series of four short comic book stories. In each of these otherwise unrelated stories, Morpheus serves only as a minor character. Here we meet the mother of Morpheus's son, find out what cats dream about, and discover the true origin behind Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream. The latter won a World Fantasy Award for best short story, the first time a comic book was given that honor.

REASON FOR READING: I'm addicted to the series.

THOUGHTS: This is my favorite book in the series so far. The random tales were both intriguing and intersting. I believe I am finally used to the art and that allows me to enjoy the stories more. I found the tale about what cats dream to be the most enjoyable. That may be because I have a cat who would clearly rule the world if he were human. Also, the award winning bit about "A Midsummer's Night Dream" was very well done. The way the play and the fairy characters worked together was fantastic. I am beginning to see why Gaiman is such an acclaimed author.

MISCELLANEOUS: My other cat falls off the couch in her sleep.

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): Sadly, it's going back to Pete.
RATING: 8/10 [Terrific]

CR: The Courtesan by Julia Justiss
RN: The Sandman: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman

Comments