Book 90: The Devil You Know

NUMBER: 90
TITLE: The Devil You Know
AUTHOR: Liz Carlyle
STARTED: December 12, 2005
FINISHED: December 17, 2005
PAGES: 407
GENRE: Romance

FIRST SENTENCE: Do you believe in universal truths?

SUMMARY: Frederica d'Avillez is sure she will never marry. She's had a disastrous London season, and now her longtime beau has thrown her over for a more eligible miss. But if Freddie can't have a husband, she's hell-bent on experiencing at least one night of unforgettable passion. Where better than in the arms of the dashing rogue Bentley "Hell-Bent" Rutledge? So what if he's a rake, scoundrel, and all-round devil?

Scandal trails in Bentley's wake and fair maidens usually steer well clear of him - and vice versa. But when the opportunity presents itself, Bentley can't resist Freddie's exotic beauty. When their wild, reckless passion has dire consequences, Bentley is forced to choose between honor and freedom. And Freddie soon realizes that Bentley's devil-may-care facade is just that - for she has unwittingly unleashed his dark secrets... and secret desires.

REASON FOR READING: She's a new author who had been sitting on my bookshelf for quite some time.

THOUGHTS: Wow, this was a good book. The writing and multiple story levels were amazing. Carlyle had a web of intricate plots going that, instead of falling into chaos, meshed quite nicely. Her writing seemed to be more sophisticated than most other romance novels and the book benefited because of it. The two lead characters were written with such depth that it was difficult not to be drawn into their lives.

The one critique I had with this book is that Carlyle introduced characters left and right with little time left for the reader to remember the role they play. This book had so many characters that I almost had trouble keeping up with the role they played in the plot.

Overall, a great read. I'm glad that I have one more book by her waiting for me at home.

MISCELLANEOUS: Yes, I do believe in universal truths.

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): Keep, at least for now.
RATING: 6/10 [Good]

CR: One Night For Love by Mary Balogh
RN: I have no clue. I'm limited in my own reading choices because I am on winter break right now. My grandmother, however, keeps on telling me of books I should read before I go home. Most of my fun reading, however, is going to get pushed aside for books I need to get through for my thesis and Media Studies Comprehensive exams.

Comments