Book 85: The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes

NUMBER: 85
TITLE: The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes
AUTHOR: Neil Gaiman
STARTED: November 30, 2005
FINISHED: December 3, 2005
PAGES: 234
GENRE: Graphic Novel

FIRST SENTENCE: Wake up, sir.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] A wizard attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother Dream instead. Fearful for his safety, the wizard kept him imprisoned in a glass bottle for decades. After his escape, Dream, also known as Morpheus, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. On the way, Morpheus encounters Lucifer and demons from Hell, the Justice League, and John Constantine, the Hellblazer. This book also includes the story "The Sound of Her Wings" which introduces us to the pragmatic and perky goth girl, Death.

REASON FOR READING: I came across it while and work in the library and just decided to check it out. Some nagging voice in the back of my head *coughPetecough* told me I had to read it.

THOUGHTS: I'm not in love with the art, but the story is fantastic. This is my first experience with Gaiman (all my friends love him) and it was quite the enjoyable. The plot line was extremely interesting. I particularly like the world Gaiman created. The final chapter about Death was the most addictive. I want to know more about her.

I will clearly continue reading this series and shall endeavor to try a Gaiman novel at some point.

MISCELLANEOUS: Thank goodness Pete has the rest of the books in the series because the library does not.

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): Back to the stacks it goes.
RATING: 6/10 [Good]

CR: The Pirate Prince by Gaelen Foley
RN: Probably another romance novel.

Comments