Book 81: The Reluctant Bride

NUMBER: 81
TITLE: The Reluctant Bride
AUTHOR: Leigh Greenwood
STARTED: November 23, 2005
FINISHED: November 27, 2005
PAGES: 373
GENRE: Romance

FIRST SENTENCE: Tanzy Gallant watched with relief and awe as the towering mountains drew near.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Can a mail order bride find love with her future husband, even if he seems to be a dangerous rogue?

REASON FOR READING: I was in the mood for some fluffy mcfluffsalot.

THOUGHTS: Now, I'm not saying men can't write romance novels... I'm just saying that this man can't write romance novels. The characters were flat, the plot was dull, and the writing lacked depth. I thought something was off after the first fifty pages, it took me flipping to the author's page to realize why. I was surprised to see a man's picture on the back flap. Perhaps it's just this author, but part of me felt weird reading a romance novel written by a guy. I don't know why, but I felt as if my father had walked in on me reading something I shouldn't.

I've read a lot of romance novels and, to me, this one just felt sterile. It was too difficult to feel the characters emotions. It was like the Greenwood took an okay plot and then tried his damnedest to remove any sense of depth and emotion.

MISCELLANEOUS: Part of me wants to find another romance novel written by a man just to contrast and compare. Perhaps I shall make that my next bookstore mission.

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): On to PBS it goes.
RATING: 3/10 [Poor, lost interest]

CR: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
RN: Not Quite A Gentleman by Jacquie D'Alessandro

Comments