Book 77: Grendel

NUMBER: 77
TITLE: Grendel
AUTHOR: John Gardner
STARTED: ?
FINISHED: November 9, 2005
PAGES: 174
GENRE: Literature

FIRST SENTENCE: The old ram stands looking down over rockslides, stupidly triumphant.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] The first and most terrifying monster in English literature, from the great early epic "Beowulf," tells his side of the story.

REASON FOR READING: Assigned in ENG 205: The Literature of Fantasy

THOUGHTS: The story was fun and more enjoyable than "Beowulf" but I did not love the way it was written. The writing was too stream of consciousness and scatterbrained for my taste. I felt lost and confused more than once. However, Gardner made me like the characters of "Beowulf" a lot more in this story. I have not idea how that happened but, for some reason, they seemed more alive and real.

MISCELLANEOUS: Oh the analysis I've done...

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): Sell back.
RATING: 6/10 [Good]

CR: Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
RN: Somewhere in Time by Merline Lovelace

Comments