Book 76: Sweet Release

NUMBER: 76
TITLE: Sweet Release
AUTHOR: Pamela Clare
STARTED: November 4, 2005
FINISHED: November 7, 2005
PAGES: 374
GENRE: Romance

FIRST SENTENCE: Alec Kenleigh tossed back the last of his brandy and savored its heat as it scorched a path to his stomach.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Though Cassie hated the slave trade, her Virginia plantation demanded the labor, so for five pounds in cash, the convict was hers. Little did she know that Cole Braden had been beaten, abducted and sent to the American colonies as an indentured servant. He must prove his true identity to win his freedom and earn her love.

REASON FOR READING: It came in PBS and I love this author.

THOUGHTS: I don't know what it is about Clare's writing, but I just can't book her books down. Aside from this novel, I've read to others from her and loved them both. This story and the characters were just addictive. She can take a cliched plot and add twists to it that just reinvent the story. It also helps that Clare adds in details most authors wouldn't think about it.

She presents a cliched scene and then enhances it with description. Some of my favorite scenes were the ones that had nothing to do with the romance. I love how she shows the characters under "normal" conditions.

MISCELLANEOUS: Believe it or not, but I just may be able to use this book for a paper next semester. I rule.

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): Keep (at least for the time being)
RATING: 6/10 [Good]

CR: Grendel by John Gardner
RN: Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

Comments