It may even be too trashy for me

For the first time in a long time I am seriously contemplating putting a book down. I have this matter of pride thing where I feel that if I start a book - unless it's for school - I have to finish it. I believe that if someone took the time to write it, I should take the time to read it. I may not enjoy the book after I finish it, but I feel fulfilled for having at least read it. Recently, however, I've begun to see how my need to finish everything I start has sometimes turned reading into a chore. That's the last thing I want it to be.

I've decided to give the book a few more pages but it's really dragging right now. The characters are flimsy, the dialog has me laughing, and some of the "romantic" descriptions are either cheesy or just plain gross. "Love sheath"? Come on. Who says that? Also, the idea that the romance is between a 22-year old woman (well, girl really) and a 50-year old man has me cringing in disgust. I keep on making him 35 in my head. Not great, but at least better. I can think of him as David James Elliot or Brad Pitt that way.

The one downside to this plan... The last time I read something by this author the first 200 pages stunk beyond all reason, then another character entered and I feel in love with the story. I just don't know if I can stick it out for another 170 pages to get to the good stuff.

Comments