Book 36: Sense and Sensibility

NUMBER: 36
TITLE: Sense And Sensibility
AUTHOR: Jane Austen
STARTED: May 9, 2005
FINISHED: May 17, 2005
PAGES: 315
GENRE: Literature

FIRST SENTENCE: The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Two sisters of opposing temperaments but who share the pangs of tragic love provide the subjects for Sense and Sensibility. Elinor, practical and conventional, is the epitome of sense; Marianne, emotional and sentimental, the embodiment of sensibility. To each comes the sorrow of unhappy love: Elinor desires a man who is promised to another while Marianne loses her heart to a scoundrel who jilts her. Their mutual suffering brings a closer understanding between the two sisters — and true love finally triumphs when sense gives way to sensibility and sensibility gives way to sense.

REASON FOR READING: Needed a book for the plane ride back to DC... and one that wasn't a romance novel.

THOUGHTS: I'm not gonna lie. I didn't love it. I also did not hate it. I would have like the story more had I been able to follow it. The names and the usage of Mr./Mrs./Ms./Etc. confused me. Part of that has to do with the fact that I was so busy in real life I couldn't just sit down and read. The points were I was able to immerse myself in the text I enjoyed the story and writing. I just wish there were more points like that.

I will give Austen this point, she has a knack for making selfish characters likable.

MISCELLANEOUS: This is the one book that I've ever read with a British accent in my head.

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): Keep (I'm going to read this one again when I'm not so distracted.)
RATING: 7/10 [Very Good]

CR: Highlander in Disguise by Julia London
RN: Highlander Unbound by Julia London

Comments