2009 Reading / Bookish Resolutions

Once again most of my 2009 reading/bookish resolutions fall under one category: Reducing Mt. TBR. I am throwing in an extra category this year: Me.

1. I will not set a number of books to read this year.
-- I always try to read 100 books in a year. Of those 100 books I try to make a set number classics and non-fiction. I've never come close to reading those self-set quotas. In fact, I grow to hate those quotas. When I read, I read for me - so why the hell have I been making reading for me less fun. Screw numbers. This year, I vow to ignore the statistics until it comes to the end-of-year calculations.

2. I will read for me.
-- I will read with me in mind: that minds I will read what I want, when I want. I will select my reading choices by the mood I am in, not what I feel I should be reading. The one exception: book club.

3. When I go the Library, I will not walk out with a gazillion books.
-- This is a repeat from last year. I have to knock down the number of books I own but have not read. Mt. TBR is this looming cloud over my head. The smaller it gets, the happier I am. (Right now I am ignoring the growing list of books in my TBR database list... but those aren't actually on my shelves so they're easier to ignore.)

4. I will NOT BUY any books (again)
-- Another repeat, but it worked out incredibly well this year. I could actually walk into a bookstore, peruse the shelves, and walk out empty handed. This act got easier with each passing today. Again, I am adding caveats, but they are even smaller than last years.
a. The book is written by one of these authors: Vince Flynn, Diana Gabaldon, Mark Bowden
b. The book is a gift for someone else (I'm not buying it for myself, therefore it does not add to MY reading pile)
c. I need the book for a class
6. I will purge!
-- That's right. I will be ruthless. Surprisingly, I did not blog about the two book purges I conducted this year. Something just said to me PURGE PURGE PURGE. So I listened. (Yes, you may call me insane for listening to the voices in my head.) It felt incredibly therapeutic to weed my shelves - so much so that I vow to do it again this year. I have a feeling my hardcovers are going to be hit hard - they need it.

Comments

Keta Diablo said…
Nice blog and great list.

Thanks for keeping readers interested in writing.

Drop by my blog some time and enter to win my free book give-away contest. I give books away every month. Then you won't feel so guilty about buying more (lol)

Best, Keta Diablo
www.ketadiablo.com