2008 Reading/Bookish Resolutions

All of the following reading/bookish resolutions fall under one category: Reducing Mt. TBR

1. I will read 100 books this year.
-- I did not even come close in 2007, but I did it the year before so I am going to try again.

1a. Of those 100 books, 8 will be classics and 15 will be non-fiction.
-- I realize that I set my goals too high last year, so I'm going to try for something more manageable in 2008.

2. I will participate in the Book a Month reading challenge.
-- This is just for fun and also and attempt to get Mt. TBR (at the least the portion in my direct ownership) to a more reasonable level.

3. When I go the Library, I will not walk out with a gazillion books.
-- Since I own "a number" of books (coughseveralhundredcough), I must focus on reading my own books as opposed to pulling the "Oooo Shiny!" method of selecting books at the library. Therefore, I will only check out a maximum of two books at a time (a really, that number should be one, but I know myself far to well) and NONE of those books will be romance novels.

4. I will update my reading blog within one week of completing each book.
-- This rule may be postponed for the following reasons:
a. Homework/Tests
b. Vacations
c. The craziness that is the end of the semester at The Library
And now for the BIG one...

5. I will NOT BUY any books (!!!)
-- That's right, I said it. I will not buy any books in 2008... with the following exceptions:
a. The book is written by one of these authors: Vince Flynn, Diana Gabaldon, Jacqueline Carey, Mark Bowden
b. Books received from Paperbackswap.com do not count (I'm swapping, not buying - that's how I am going to justify that source of bound material to myself)
c. The book is needed for my book club and I have no other method of getting my hands on it.
d. The book is a gift for someone else (I'm not buying it for myself, therefore it does not add to MY reading pile)
e. I need the book for a class

Comments

Anonymous said…
So, Meghan, will you hate me if I also do the book a month challenge. I don't have a book club here, but I need to read more. I cannot achieve your 100 books in a year, but I could probably read 12, maybe even twice that many.
Meghan said…
Clearly, Katie, I would hate you forever.
Anonymous said…
I knew it was dangerous to ask. You're a vengeful, vengeful person, and you're probably smiting my family as we speak.
Jennifer said…
You realize that I'm totally teasing you about Borders any time we go to DTSS. That is just an impossible resolution for you. I'd like to start a betting pool, that you will crack and buy yourself a book (not in a stated protected category) during the first quarter (Jan-March).
Meghan said…
What happens if (miracle of miracles) I win? Do I get to dive into a pile of books and swim around (a la Scrooge McDuck in his coin vault)?