What I Read This Week: January 7, 2018

You know what. I'm not going to be astonished that it's 2018 already. After the year that was 2017, I'm just going to roll with it. What else can you do?

As I mentioned in a post earlier this week, I'm feeling "itchy." I want to try some new things, but first I need to finish up the old and decide what's worth keeping, what needs updating, and what new things should come into my life. This "itchiness" is not just blog related - I'm seeking to "scratch" out what I want in life. I'm not at "mid-life crisis" level of change; I'm just feeling stuck and and ready for something different. You might see some fall out from that in the blogging and reading. Normally, change scares the living day-lights out of me, but not this time. I'm kind of excited to see where my curiosity takes me.
  • Work
    • American Libraries, January/February 2018 - The bulk of this issue was devoted to the upcoming mid-winter conference. There was a great short piece on libraries teeming up with state and local park systems. Libraries build backpacks with free park passes, field guides, maps, binoculars, etc. that can be checked out so patrons can visit their local park system. How awesome is that! In less happy news, this issue also takes a look at what happens to libraries after hurricanes and floods. Hint: Lots of mold. Finally, there was an article on whether or not little free libraries are a good thing. I, for one, support them.
  • Magazines
    • Cooking Light, January/February 2018 - If you're looking for a magazine to get your diet back on track for 2018, this would be a good issue to pick up. The whole magazines focuses on better eating strategies to help you recover from the holiday indulgences. Two of the stories focus on food as medicine (eating for the right vitamins, etc.) and on healthful use of spices. I think the best piece, however, was on cleaner eating and how to cut added sugar out of your diet. That stuff sneaks up on you if you're not paying attention.
    • Real Simple, January 2018 - This issue revolves around new year's resolution-like content. The main story was about how
      to reduce clutter and organize each room in your home. As someone who always purges after the holidays, I dig it. Another story focused on how to get a better hand on your fashion style. It mentioned a few professional stylist/shopper options that are available. I was aware of almost none of them so that was cool to learn. Finally, an article discussed using the "lighthouse method" to find out what you want in life. I'm feeling "itchy" about things professionally right now, so the tips in that story will be going to use in my life.
    • Washingtonian, December 2017 - The cover story is all about how DC is handling the Trump presidency. Would it be shocking if I told you, "Not well."? I skimmed that piece
      because, I , a DC resident am not handling this presidency well. In happier news, there was a fantastic article on how restaurants try to identify food critics. Boy would I love to be a fly on the fall as the kitchen staff scramble to make the best dish for the WaPo reviewer. I also liked the ideas for how best to put together your guest room for visitors... now if only I had a guest room.
  • Books
    • Before the clock hit midnight on New Year's Eve, I finished reading Artemis by Andy Weir. It wasn't as good as The Martian, but it wasn't a bad second book. Now I really want him to write a book that takes place exclusively on a spaceship.
    • Well... I wasn't planning on this book being the first read of 2018, but it does seem appropriate. On January 1, I started reading Get Your Shit Together by Sarah Knight. So far, it's a rather sassy take on personal productivity.

Comments