Not Resolutions

We're now two weeks into 2018. This is the time when some of us are already falling off the resolution bandwagon. I used to set resolutions and I never managed to follow through on them for more than a month. In 2017, I tried something new. Instead of resolutions, I decided to add things to try for the year. I tracked them in my bullet journal and I was quite successful. Instead of trying to remove something from my life, I decided to try things that added value to my life. I tend to be a positive person, and I think that's why my "not resolutions" were more successful.

To further that success, I'm continuing these "not resolutions" for 2018. Life is so much more fun when you're exploring than when you're trying to cut stuff out.

Here are some of my "not resolutions" for year.

Try one new thing a month.
I am a home-body. My favorite weekends involve PJs, bingewatching, and coffee. I do not apologize for this. But, I am also incredibly curious and love to try things both at home and in the area. This is a repeat not resolution from last year and it had me making meatballs and dumplings from scratch, kayaking and paddle boarding, and visiting new parts of DC. It was great! So, I'm going to continue this activity. The "new thing" doesn't have to be big, it just as to be novel to me. I am already thinking up ideas for this year - like making matzo ball soup, visiting the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, and finally getting to the Crumbs and Whiskers cat cafe. I want to pet kitties!

Eat at one new restaurant a month.
DC has an amazing restaurant scene. And, yet, The Husband and I tend to eat at or order from the same places time and again. I love a good regular spot, but we both agreed to branch out and try a new place each month last year. Given that we live in walking distance of four major food hubs, that's not hard. The only hard thing is narrowing down our list of places to try. We keep a running list in Google Keep and any time I find a place I want to try (so many places have tasty looking brunches!) it goes on the list.

Work on my French.
I took French in high school and about two years ago I decided to jump back into foreign language learning. I started using Duolingo to practice my (very) rusty skills. Now, I'm working on beefing them up even further with the goal of becoming fluent. I still use Duolingo, but I've tacked on TinyCards and the Coffee Break French podcast to my learning rotation. (Frankly, I think practice more now than I did in high school.) I'm even tossing around the idea of buying Le Petit Prince so that I can translate it.

Work on my handwriting.
First of all, my everyday handwriting is actually fine... inconsistent in style, but fine. I just love writing, calligraphy, and all things paper, pen, and stationary. I've started reading handwriting and hand-lettering books and I also try to practice a bit of my handwriting daily. I even signed up for Boho Berry's Positive Scribes class. One day, I might open an Etsy shop where I sell hand-drawn note cards and mini-signs... but I have to practice more first. (At least I found a use for all those random journals I acquire.)

Run a 5k distance without stopping.
This is the closest thing to a resolution on my list. I don't want to train to run in a 5k race. I just want to be able to run that distance without stopping or walking. I don't have to be fast. I just have to be able to do it. I very much dislike running (and, really, working out in general), but I find that this is a good way to enjoy the weather and listen to podcasts.

Comments