What I Read This Week: December 31, 2017

The Husband and I hosted both of our families for Christmas again. We did an escape room (we escaped!), saw the ICE! show at the Gaylord National, visited the trains at the botanical gardens, and visited two Smithsonian exhibits that were on my to do list. On top of that, we ate a lot of food and cookies. My brother even managed to get us all addicted to HQ Trivia.

After everyone left, I tackled the many things on my to do list. One of those things was washing everything in our apartment that could be washed in a machine. I think I did 10 loads of laundry. Then I held my annual winter weeding of all the things we own. Oh, and I set up my bullet journal for 2018.

Boy am I glad that I have a few more days off to recover. I also want to use those days to test out the new scanner I got for Christmas. All the things will be digitized, gosh darnit.

  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, December 2017 - After the chunker issue that was November, this issue felt slim. I enjoyed the story on how to decode all the dress codes that seem to exist today. The college I went to was a big fan of "snappy casual" and no one quite knew what that meant. (Methinks they didn't want students showing up in pajamas and yoga pants.) Aside from that, the pieces on gift ideas and how to get your home ready for guests weren't bad.
  • Books
    • I finished up Kiera Cass's The Siren. I liked it even more than I liked the Selection series.
    • Now, I am reading Artemis by Andy Weir. It's different enough from The Martian that, in some ways, it feels like a lesser work. That said, I'm still enjoying the story.

Comments