Why I Love... When a Book Lingers

This weekend, I finished the third book in the Selection series. It's a Young Adult series that is a mash-up of The Bachelor and the Hunger Games series. I absolutely devoured these books. There was more than one night where I stayed up WAY later than normally so that I could keep reading. Early work hours be damned... I was reading more of those books.

Since I finished the last book, I've been wanting to dive back into the world author Kiera Cass created. Something about this series just sated a reading need I had. The series was decently written, well plotted, entertaining, but, above all, incredibly addictive.

These books have stuck with me and I love it when the afterglow of a good read lingers. Lingering books make me happy. It doesn't matter if the book lingers because it was entertaining or addictive or thought-provoking... if the book lingers it means that the title fulfilled some part of my reading need. It meant that I found the perfect book to suit my mood.

Lingering books also give me a chance to explore why a specific title has struck me so strongly. I find that I ask myself questions like do I want to learn more about a topic, do I need to read more by this author, and/or do I just need to keep reading in this genre? When books linger, it means I've discovered something about myself that I need to take the time to explore.

Lucky for me, the Selection series has books beyond the three main titles. There is a compendium of novellas and two spin-offs. As soon as we're back from Thanksgiving and I finish my current book, I will be grabbing these titles from the library. I want to dive back into the world Cass created and I can't wait to read what else is in store.

Comments