Book 26: The Fever

TITLE: The Fever
AUTHOR: Megan Abbott
STARTED: October 21, 2017
FINISHED: October 22, 107
PAGES: 303
GENRE: Young Adult

FIRST SENTENCE: The first time, you can't believe how much it hurts.

SUMMARY: [From BN] In this impossible-to-put-down "panic attack of a novel," a small-town high school becomes the breeding ground for a mysterious illness. Deenie Nash is a diligent student with a close-knit family; her brother Eli is a hockey star and her father is a popular teacher. But when Deenie's best friend is struck by a terrifying, unexplained seizure in class, the Nashes' seeming stability dissolves into chaos. As rumors of a hazardous outbreak spread through school, and hysteria and contagion swell, a series of tightly held secrets emerges, threatening to unravel friendships, families, and the town's fragile sense of security.

THOUGHTS: I don't know what I was expecting with this book, but it wasn't this. I very much enjoyed Abbott's book You Will Know Me, and I think I was expecting something of the same. The basics are there (good characters, well-paced writing, interesting plot) but this title just didn't hit the spot for me. It was a good story in the moment, but nothing about the book has stuck with me. If anything, I remember it as being a touch formulaic for a young adult mystery. There is nothing bad about this book, it just turned out to be a meh kind of read for me in retrospect.

RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments