What I Read This Week: October 29, 2017

This was quite the up and down week for me. I contracted a head cold that kept me foggy for a few days, The Husband was out of town on a business trip, and a police helicopter decided to do low laps over my apartment until 2am one night... but then the end of the week ended up relaxing because I was able to binge Mad Men and catch up on my internet reading. The Ladies and I also met for high tea yesterday and that is always a grand time.
  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, October 2017 - The cover story in this issue was fantastic. It talked about not just what Jane Goodall has done for science but what Jane Goodall means for science. It was a fantastic profile of her career and life. I also enjoyed the article discussing how Dubai is trying to go green. If a city in the desert can do it, everyone can. Finally, the story on trophy hunting was rather enlightening. I don't (and won't hunt) but I thought this was a fair look into the business of safari hunting.
  • Books
    • I finished reading The Selection in a marathon of reading late Wednesday (and into Thursday) night. I knew I would enjoy the book, but I did not expect that it would be so entertaining that I would forgo sleep to finish it. I've already requested the next two books in the series from the library and I am bouncing with anticipation. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
  • Other
    • The Washington Post issued a story that looked at how people who survive disasters often look to live with less stuff. I am a fan of minimalism and I purge twice a year, so I understand this desire to not be weighed down by things.

Comments