What I Read This Week: July 2, 2017

Hoorah! We finished relocating our last branch library earlier this week. I celebrated by having a beer and sleeping the deepest sleep of the year. We still have clean-up work to do, but the hardest part is over. All the material is in the building! *dances*

In other news, I tried something new this week. I slipped $10 Starbucks gift cards into envelopes with notes and left them in various public locations. I called them #luckydayenvelopes and I hope that the unexpected gifts brings a smile to someone's face. I have no idea who found them or what they thought, but I just wanted to do a nice little gesture for someone.
  • Magazines
    • Washingtonian, June 2017 - This is the annual Best of Issue. I like this one better than the past issues because it highlighted things that were outside the usual for me. I now have a short list of things I want to try and places I want to eat. In addition to the round-up, I liked the article on one woman's late term abortion. I know the subject is touchy, but it's an important piece because it details a personal experience without judging the other side. Finally, the story about the Breitbart reporter was rather interesting. I thought the subject's drive was impressive, but it does a better job of showing why we need strong reporting and even strong information literacy skills.
    • Real Simple, July 2017 - I am determined to stay on top my
      magazine reading now so I read this issue the same weekend it came in. (Go me!) This was one of the blahest Real Simple issues I've read this year, but I did love the article on how to have a family of readers through the summer. The productivity and summer vacation tips weren't too bad either. But that was about it.
  • Books
    • I finished the last pages of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on Monday. I always had this mental image of the story (thanks popular culture) but the book is quite different from what I thought it would be.
    • Ah, nostalgia. This week, I picked up a childhood favorite, This Place Has No Atmosphere, and I've been transported back to my elementary school self. I LOVED this book as a kid and, so far, my reread has reminded me of why. 
  • Other

Comments