What I Read This Week: March 12, 2017

This week, I discovered that the only read clothing I own is related to the Washington Capitals. Since I had to work on the #ADayWithoutAWoman, I want to represent my position by wearing red. Lacking clothing, I DIYed some holiday ribbon and made a pin to wear. It wasn't much, but it worked. I work in a profession that is predominately women and our staff are mainly women. We happened to have an All Staff meeting on the day of the protest, and I loved that our (male) library director wore a red tie and gave a shout out to all the women. It was a brief moment, but it really made my day.

In other news, I am been a magazine-backlog-reading bad-ass. I've caught up on all of my subscriptions save for one (Washingtonian). I hope to keep up with my activity and finish of the rest of the backlog soon. I never realized how much reading I got done on metro until I had to UBER/Lyft to work for a month.

  • Work
    • College and Research Libraries News, March 2017 - I almost skimmed through the entirety of this issue but I did stop to read the brief piece on digital scholarship centers and building relationships.
  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, March 2017 - On the whole, this was just an "ordinary" issue for Nat. Geo. I enjoyed the cover story on Vikings but I wish it had spent more time on how they're use technology to help uncover settlements. A more intriguing piece was the expedition story on caving in one of the world's deepest caves. The one piece I loved in this issue was the picture story on the wisdom of trees. The images were fantastic and it as a great
      reminder that trees were here before us and they will be here (hopefully) long after us.
    • Real Simple, March 2017 - Two of the articles in this issue were placed many pages apart from one another, but I think they actually go together. The first article was on how to become more resilient. Grit. It's a good thing. The second piece was about how to stop being a martyr. I recognized a few traits of the martyr in myself, so I'm going to try to put a few of the recommendations in this piece to work. On a less serious note, the article where design pros give their best tips for purchasing furniture could come in handy if The Husband and I ever get around to buying a place.
  • Books
    • Well... I am finally making headway on the actual story in my edition of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea... but this edition comes with footnotes. A lot of footnotes. I could be reading this book forever. At least the actual story is good and the footnotes provide context and relevant information.

Comments