What I Read This Week: February 26, 2017

I think winter is over. It never really got started in the first place, but the trees in DC are in bloom. I'm sad that the cherry blossoms probably won't be that pretty this year, but I LOVE that I've been able to get my post-work walks in outdoors... in 70 degree weather. It has been delightful.

Also, my team and I finished up a HUGE work project this week. I'm hoping I can pivot to focusing on digitization and digital preservation. Fingers crossed that more reading on that starts to appear in this weekly list.

  • Work
    • College and Research Libraries News, February 2017 - This issue had several pieces on library instruction for first-year students. I always find those pieces to be helpful. I don't think you can ever have enough ideas on how to instruct new students.
  • Magazines
    • Cooking Light, November 2016 - Normally, I read this magazine for the recipes. (Because they are sooooo good.) While the recipes in this issue were delicious (I pulled a few), there were two articles that I also enjoyed. The first was a multi-story piece on eating for brain health. The issue included a piece on a well-known cookbook author eating to slow her progression into Alzheimers. That was followed up with a very helpful "how to" piece about eating for brain health. This included information on what is good for the brain, where to find it, and recipe ideas. The most touching piece in this issue, however, was the story about a woman adjusting to her father's death through fishing. It nearly had me in tears.
    • Good Housekeeping, March 2017 - I am always a fan of stories on how to get organized, but I really wished the tips and ideas were not the usual fare. Aside from that, there was a decent piece on how to get a good night's sleep from A-to-Z. I also liked the skillet suppers section because I am all about tasty, one-pan meals.
  • Books
    • I finished Walkable City. Huzzah! I'll post a full review later, but this book, while good, read like blog.
    • I started reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. This edition starts with about 90 pages of information on Jules Verne, so I'm still a few pages away from actually starting the story.
  • Other

Comments