What I Read This Week: January 29, 2017

I am woman! Watch me read!

I am still on a high after the Women's March on Washington. It was an exhilarating, invigorating, and inspiring event. (And the signs! My goodness, the signs were astounding!) Lady B suggested we keep the momentum going by seeing Hidden Figures on Monday. Lady K and I were totally in! Feminism and equal rights, yes! We are now riding a wave of enthusiasm and righteous indignation.... straight to political action. Watch out Capitol Hill! You are going to be inundated with mail and calls from me. I'm a DC resident so my vote "doesn't count," so I am opting to contact not only the DC non-voting rep, but the reps from Maryland and Virginia along with both leadership teams. Roar!

Anyhoo.... I've felt such energy to do things this week that I not only conquered my to do lists, but I've made quite the dent in my backlog of reading. I still have a large pile of magazines to get through, but I am making headway. Once I've tackled that pile, I am going to make a dent in the file of articles I've emailed to myself.

I will conquer it all!
  • Work
    • College and Research Libraries News, December 2016 - The bulk of this issue was a year-in-review. It was nice to glace at that, but I really enjoyed the first two articles. The first was on librarians' stressors and mindfulness... which added yet another book to my reading list. The second was on the "Thank a Librarian" project at Duke. It was a great idea and I may have to steal it. 
    • College and Research Libraries, January 2017 - I love the article about eavesdropping on students using Yik Yak. I used to do that for my office, but students started to drop out of the app so it wasn't worth my time. That said, still a great idea! I also enjoyed the article on reinvigorating strategic planning. I
      heart planning. 
    • American Libraries, January/February 2017 - There is a reason the stereotype of librarians and cats exists. I add to it by pouting at the trend piece showing the decline in library cats. On a positive note, I think it's a good thing that many libraries are trending toward digital library cards. Also, as always, the look back at 2016 and the referedna review continues to show just how important libraries are to communities. I think that will become even more true in the coming years.
  • Magazines
    • Good Housekeeping, December 2016, January 2017, and February 2017 - Yup. I flipped through these three issues in a
      marathon of reading one night. This is not my favorite magazine, but I did like the cookie and gift ideas in the December issue. The organizing and lifehack tips in the January issue were fine, but they were repeats of things you typically see this time of year. And for February, the recipes looked tasty but they were also things I've seen before.
    • The Atlantic - January/February 2017 - My goodness was this issue hard to read. The cover story Obama's presidency was poignant and uplifting, but it was also bittersweet. Coates is a phenomenal author and I would love him to have more pieces in this magazine. There was also a good story on sleep. I, for one, am a great sleeper. Also, the story one the intelligence of
      octopi was great. I love these animals and I like that they seem to be having a moment in scientific pop culture.
  • Books
    • I'm now over halfway through Walkable City. While I still love the book and the argument it is making, it's becoming clear the text lack structures. It feels like a bunch of blog posts smooshed together in categorized chapters. That's not awful, but it does mean the narrative and argument lack cohesion.
  • Other
    • Article club met this week. We read The Coddling of the American Mind from The Atlantic. I read this piece when it first came out in the September issue, but I re-read it before we met. My view on the article is largely unchanged upon re-read, but I found it to be a touch more applicable following the election. I don't, personally, advocate for "protecting" people from ideas they don't like (I think it reinforces bubbles), but I think when students are arguing for safe spaces what they are trying to get at is that we need to be more tolerant and, yes, politically correct. I don't think we should ban hard conversations or encounters, but I also don't think arguing for a more just and caring world is a bad thing.

Comments