Book 34: Pointe

TITLE: Pointe
AUTHOR: Brandy Colbert
STARTED: October 22, 2016
FINISHED: October 31, 2016
PAGES: 333,
GENRE: Young Adult

FIRST SENTENCE: I wish I could say the day Donovan came home was extraordinary from the start, that I woke up knowing something special would happen that Thursday evening in October.

SUMMARY: [From BN] Theo is better now. She’s eating again, dating guys who are almost appropriate, and well on her way to becoming an elite ballet dancer. But when her oldest friend, Donovan, returns home after spending four long years with his kidnapper, Theo starts reliving memories about his abduction—and his abductor. Donovan isn’t talking about what happened, and even though Theo knows she didn’t do anything wrong, telling the truth would put everything she’s been living for at risk. But keeping quiet might be worse. Brandy Colbert dazzles in this heartbreaking yet hopeful debut novel about learning how to let go of even our most shameful secrets.

THOUGHTS: Whoopsie! I completely forgot that this book was sitting in my drafts folder entirely unreviewed. Well, I do remember that I very much enjoyed the book as I was reading it. The characters were interesting and the plot was well-placed. I love ballet and, as a former dancer, the descriptions of those scenes felt true to life. I truly looked forward to reading it each evening.

That said, it felt a touch overwritten and dramatic. There was a lot of different plot points going on and I don't think all of them were necessary. One or two of the big "shocking" things could have been omitted and this still would have been a good book.

RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments